I love a good grocery store, it’s like being a kid in a candy store for me! Whenever there is a new grocery store that pops up, I go check it out and always come out with something new! Especially going to the states, where they have difference products than Canada. Would you believe me if I told you that when I travel my carryon is full of American products (I swear, it’s true)? I get pulled over to be searched, Every. Single. Time. But I do realize not everyone is like me who loves to grocery shop, so here are the grocery store hacks to make it easy!
- Never shop hungry. You know what I’m talking about – it leads to buying way more than you need, and more snacking too.
- Make a list before you go of the must-haves and what you are planning to prep for that week. This way you don’t over or under buy. Pro Tip – organize your list into the sections of the grocery store so you are in and out quicker.
- Go early in the morning, fresher produce + less people (win-win)
- Shop the perimeter of the store first. Produce and meat (the essentials) then the other stuff you may need in the isles.
- Don’t be afraid of the frozen fruits + veg, it makes it more affordable to buy organic
- Shop the seasonal fruits and veg, that’s what our body craves.
- Read the labels! Low fat, gluten free, sugar free – this doesn’t mean healthy! Read the ingredients and make sure you understand what is listed.
- Use the dirty dozen and clean 15 list to buy organic foods. It can be costly, so don’t forget about the frozen option.
- BYOB – bring your own bag.
Let’s break down a general grocery list. This will give you options of proteins, vegetables, condiments, etc. but is definitely an elongated list!
Meat based proteins:
- Organic chicken and turkey. If you’re craving turkey slices, go for the nitrate free
- Atlantic salmon or smoke salmon
- White fish, shrimp, scallops if they are looking fresh
- Grass fed beef/ burgers, but not very often (1 X per week)
Dairy and eggs:
- 2% plain Greek yogurt
- Organic eggs
- Cottage cheese
- Feta/ goats milk cheeses
- Grass fed butter/ ghee (I love Lee’s ghee)
- Almond, cashew or oat milk – all unsweetened
Fruits and veg
- Japanese sweet potato (can also do regular sweet potato)
- Spaghetti squash
- Your choice of greens (I prefer spinach and arugula)
- Onions and garlic
- Lemon/ lime
- Avocado (for smoothies)
- Stir fried veggies of your choice (stay away from corn)
- Wild/ brown rice
- Ezekiel bread
- Mary’s crackers
- Nuud crackers
- Chickpea/ lentil pasta
- Mother Raw dressing
- Natural nut butters
- Almond flour
- Whole gluten free oats
- Coconut milk
- Coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil
- Raw, unsalted nuts