Have a safe and healthy pregnancy, naturally!
Pregnancy and birth are natural processes that can be managed and supported through the avoidance of harmful materials and preventative nutrition. To create a positive pregnancy experience it is recommended to manage stress, encourage restful sleep, and have sufficient amounts of low-impact exercise.
During the 9 months, hormones naturally fluctuate (an increase in estrogen and progesterone) to help the body to accommodate for the growing fetus. There is an increase in endorphins which act like the body’s natural pain killers that are especially abundant during birth. Other hormonal changes include an increase in relaxin (yes, that’s the real name) to help the allow for ligaments and connective tissues around the uterus to help it and the hips to expand (opening the pelvis in preparation for birth).
Common symptoms experienced and screened for throughout pregnancy:
- Shortness of breath (occurs before 20 weeks)
- Hormonal changes can affect respiration, nasal congestion, upper respiratory tract infection
- Increase in sleep
- Changes in gut motility may lead to diarrhea and constipation
- Presence of progesterone affects the urinary system, women may experience frequent UTIs
- Increased vaginal discharge
- Breast tenderness
- Emotional changes
- Leg cramps
- Uterine ligament pain
- Constipation and hemorrhoids
- Gestational diabetes *requires screening
- Changes in the position of the fetus
- Labour & birth support