These are unprecedented times. Whether you’re working from home or just plain-stuck-in-the-house, the isolation can make it tempting to slip into unhealthy habits. Being cooped up inside all day really does test one’s sanity, as time becomes a blurry concept. What day is it?
Since we’re all home anyway, why not use this time to get a start on your health goals that were put off BC (before COVID).
📢Introducing The Social Distancing Detox: A hands-on, start-right-away detox for the mind, body, and soul.
Let’s break it down:
Detox For The Mind: Given that most of us are forced to slow down, we may be experiencing a heightened sense of discomfort and uncertainty. Feelings of low mood, or just a case of the blahs are pretty common right now. We haven’t yet found a routine that works for us to keep us motivated and stimulated.
What you can do right now to detox a cluttered mind:
- Read! Pick up that book you’ve been promising yourself you’d finish for months. Dedicate an hour of your day to just reading for fun!
- Connect with friends and loved ones and do fun things (virtually)! Have a virtual games night! Some of my favourite games apps are Jackbox.tv and House Party App. (Let me know in the comments what your favourite virtual games apps are!)
Detox Your Body: Okay it’s been about 2 weeks, this is a PSA: hun, it’s time to get off the couch! Being home all day makes it easy and tempting to just grow roots in whatever chair or bed you spend most of your time in. Don’t do it! Side effects of moving your body include: feeling energized, motivated, and accomplished. While you’re at it, why not put that bowl of chips into its own isolation for a while.
What you can do right now to detox a cluttered body:
- Exercise! (How surprised were you that this was the first tip?) Go for a walk, get some sunshine! Work out! You don’t need a gym to get your sweat on: stand up and do some jumping jacks! Drop and give me 20! How about 10 burpees? Full disclosure: I’ve started working out on the driveway. Pretty sure all my neighbours can see me struggling through my push-ups, but whatever! Exercise + sunshine? Winning combo!
- Socially distance yourself from junk food (lol). All hope is not lost and we’ll be able to be out in society again. Continue eating healthy as to not feel the sluggishness. A clean diet doesn’t have to be fancy, why not try switching your commute-to-work-pastry with a fresh piece of fruit in the morning? Delicious!
Detox Your Space: Time to Mary Kondo and spring clean! Out with the winter baggage, all the stuff that’s cluttering up your space (and also your mind), in with the tidying up! If we’re gonna be cooped up all day, might as well have a nice space right?
What you can do right now to detox your space:
- Clean/organize your space! Try starting with one small project and dedicate half an hour a day just to organizing that space, and then another space, and then another, and then… Woah! It’s like a whole new room!
- Add some comforting additions like pants to the areas you spend much of your time in. Enjoy the nature indoors
There you have it! Quick and easy tips for detoxing while social distancing! If you liked this article, share it with 2 of your friends who are at home feeling the cabin fever too! We’re all in this together!
Stay healthy, stay safe!
I compiled a short list on how you can stay motivated and energized during these times.